Saturday, September 18, 2010

A page from a refugee diary

It was an extremely intriguing morning of exploring the bonds of my mind and consciousness, a morning of revealing a part of myself which has long been buried under the pressure of a turbulent time that was behind me.

I was walking down the streets in no particular direction, just enjoying the sun and filling in my lungs with the healing smell of pines and the sea. It was amazing how quickly and spontaneously faded pictures restored their hues and I felt as if my steps were falling dominoes evoking one memory after another with accumulated speed and energy, all rushing into unknown direction.  

Step by step and I finally reached the sea. I decided to cross the canal, a narrow gap of water which isolated the ancient core of the town situated on the miniature peninsula from its modern, onshore offspring. Normally I would choose a bridge, yet that morning I desired to feel water under my fingers and bask in still mild, early sunbeams. So I took a place in a small rowing boat together with a group of cheerful and eager-to-talk tourists and we soon swayed in the rhythm of oaring. 

It was strange, but looking at them I realised that I was like one of them, just a passerby, a random traveller. I did not really comprehend the words which poured into my ears but their melody, the atmosphere which surrounded me and a mesmerising motion of the boat and sea were so familiar. And then I saw faces of my classmates and heard their lively voices over teacher’s. We were having a history class and were on our way of touring numerous churches in the center. The boat floated through the impenetrable mist and fog and everything seemed ominously grey and dim. Only the voices were louder and I could clearly distinguish that the boys were discussing politics, if a twelve-year-old child is capable of it at all. However, they took it seriously and I could feel the growing fury and hate in the words as their florid cheeks were drawing nearer. The next moment I heard a shout “You don’t belong here!” and a splash of water and panicked screams of all the present.

The boat jerked as the tourists stood up in order to get off. I stood up too and joined them sightseeing the town I knew so well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment